1. R2 was admitted to the hospital. Some chest congestion followed by high fever which refused to abate even after 4 days. 101, 102, 103 on the thermometer. So much we used to measure her temperature, that now even R is a pro in measuring with the mercury thermometer!
She got admitted for FOUR days. You know they say, Man Proposes, God Disposes! That is exactly what happened. The long weekend of October 2nd was spent with me isolated in a hospital room with her. Her hand had an IV attached to it, and it irritated her to no end. I was surprised I cried ONLY Once! I am maturing, man!
My parents ARE GOD! seriously! With RD travelling away on business, I had them as my support system. My mom handled R’s studies, her school, the house, the cooking, while dad when back and forth from the hospital (which was very far away by the way!) and house about 5 times a day. I am blessed blessed blessed to have such parents…
And also blessed to have a support system of virtual friends, who were constantly in touch with me, assuring me that life is okay and that I would get back home soon…sometimes I wonder why I don’t blog more often..so many wonderful friends I have made!
2. This Navratri has been one of the best I have celebrated since I came to Bombay. I danced EVERY NIGHT! read again, yes EVERY NIGHT! On the first day evening, as I returned from office, the usual gang of kids surrounded me saying, what aunty, no arrangement in building..and I was like WHAT..not possible..I was pregnant last year and couldn’t dance, This year I WANT TO DANCE! and I asked a couple of ladies if they were interested..and it snowballed into an action packed two hours…I got the table and pooja stuff from home, someone got Ma Durga’s photo, one aunty even made sheera for 40 people in 20 minutes, and someone got the aarti book photocopied..and kids came down with pen drive full of garbas! In short, I learnt two things that day
a. People just wait for someone to take the lead and follow
b. I am a good initiator 😉
3. Each day we got such a variety of prasad for Ma Durga..from sheera, to vada, to coconut burfi, to puri, to farsan to imli rice, to what not..in short, I learnt that the community cares. No matter, some days, I was the only ‘aunty’ dancing with the kids, no matter most folks in the building, didnt bother coming down, but at the end of the day, the kids were very happy and so was I. I would come down for Aarti with R2, go up after it to give her food and make her sleep and then come down again to dance…it was total fun. And thankfully my parents were there, so I didnt have to worry much…
4. I have done the ultimate challenge…worn a sari and travelled in peak hours in the local train! Without getting disrobed…its a very high form of personal achievement for me..
This year, I followed the colours of Navratri to the T…even got a green t shirt to wear over jeans on the Green Day since it was Friday. The last two days, I wore sari to work. I must admit, my sari wearing skills are dismal, but I will improve! I had ladies who redraped it for me at work. And gosh! they did it with such ease…the next one on my bucket list, is to learn to drape a saree flawlessly…I would a beautiful pink tussar silk on Asthami and a plain black with thin red border mysore silk on Navami…I can now run marathons in saris!
5. R and I are having such major fights, so much so that even my dad is asking me to just not lose it so much! She bugs me, I scream, she screams, that I scream,and I scream that she screams that I scream..in short major screaming sessions in this household!
6. RD sent a message the other day saying he was homesick. I confessed I didnt miss him one bit..especially since R was very sick when he left (she always falls sick if she is away from RD for more than 2 days, hmpf!) and then R2 got admitted to hospital after that…RD wanted to come back when she was in hospital, but dad and I convinced him otherwise!
Confession time: This post came up after my discussion with R today. We were in the car. She asked to see the last three days pictures of Smita in a sari. Smita shared her sari pics with me during Navratri and R is a fan of hers! She asked me, Amma does Smita aunty work with you in office?
R: Oh then how do you know her?
Me: She is a blog friend
R: hmmm are blog friends, best friends also?
Me: Errr..well, you know I do have a bunch of awesome blog friends…but funnily I have stopped blogging now
R: What did you write about earlier?
Me: A lot about you actually
R: oh okay…
After a pause she said
Amma, I think you should start writing again..dont you think R2 will feel bad that you havent written anything about her and everything about me?
Sometimes, this girl surprises me to no end!