….you find ….
– A regular announcement ‘ Do not travel on the train tops, it is dangerous to life’ Tell me any other place where such announcements are done regularly every 4 minutes!
– Another regular announcement ‘Please do not throw garbage wrappers, papers, etc around in the platform. Station is your property, Please help us to keep it clean’ Its sad na..that even today such announcements have to made 😦
– The 5.54 local to Borivali will arrive at platform 2 instead of platform 1. inconvenience to passengers is regretted. the announcement comes in at 5.53!
– The concept of ‘Return’ So what people do to get a seat to sit for an hour’s journey between Borivali and Churchgate is go return. They get up on their station to a train going to Borivali, knowing that the same train will go back to Churchgate in 10 minutes, and hence keep sitting in the train and go back all the way!
– the first class ladies compartment is more crowded than the second class ladies compartment during peak hours
– People hanging out of the train to get some air and as the station approaches they get off, let other people get in and then board the footboard to again get some air
– One side of the line which you presume is to get off doesnt get off but stands just at that place..they are in line for the next station
– There is a concept of fourth seat! While a normal seat can accommodate three people, the fourth seat is the result of ‘thoda adjust karo’
– You can actually book your seat if you are standing by asking people where they are going to get off and no one else can sit there except you!
– You can buy breakfast, earrings, rubber bands, petticoats, night gowns, kurtas, leggings, slacks, patialas, hair clips, farsan, latest pirated books in the train
– You get up 4 stations before your actual destination otherwise there are chances you can never get down
– You can push, shove, pinch, pull hair, shove with your elbow without any guilt..you are after all, giving a free massage to the co-passenger eh?
– You can not make the mistake of getting into a Virar train if you are getting off at Borivali…how dare you? I have travelled all the way to Dahisar and came back one day 😦
– You can get stranded for about 15 minutes between 2 stations as the train comes to a stand still..and yet there is no movement around..people are talking as if nothing happened, people are listening to music, whatever, but no one loses their temper..its all a part of daily travel okie?
– You hear the announcer in the station pleading that this train will go to the yard please get off the train, and yet there will be loads of people who will be sitting in the train in hope that the train will take them to their destination till the driver actually switches OFF all the lights fans and everything in the train..I have seen this happen like a million times!
– You actually have a separate group of train friends!
– You can get away asking questions to super model looking girls ‘Are you Andheri?’ Err..how can someone BE Andheri..but I always end up asking that question..instead of asking ‘Are you getting down at Andheri’
– You have a set of ladies who are a group of standing passengers..and can celebrate even birthdays ‘standing’ near the door! yep, I witnessed that
– You know for sure that you can get away without buying a ticket during peak hours because no sane ticket checker will ever dare to board the train during the peak hours
– You need to confirm which side the platform comes for which station!
– You have announcements that say ‘This train will go to platform 8 at Borivali’ and the entire crowd gets off the previous station to wait for the next train which will take them to platform number 2/3 at Borivali because platform 8 is 2 kms (okie bit of an exaggeration!) away from the actual station!
Try as I may, I can not NOT love the locals…Its been six years in Bombay and I love every bit of the train travel despite whatever I tell RD about how I hate it 🙂
PS – Thanks all you guys who contributed for RD’s cause..both of us are overwhelmed…I really dont know what else to say..not knowing us and not even meeting us, but yet giving out for us having faith that RD will complete the run…..*Falling at feet*