Cousin K and I..we shared 5 years of togetherness..she came at an excellent time…I had just entered second year college and she joined BSc did that for an year and joined my engineering college…I have loads of fun memories with her..
Right from ragging our Anna (poor RMB!) to getting scolded badly by Amma (for not informing her about our whereabouts!) to eating out together to going to college together to preparing for our elder cousin’s marriage with dance (and not letting anyone except RMB know about it!) and what not
I think I will look back in life to those five years as one of my fondest memories…
She now stays in the USA with her son and husband and we talk at times…we are not too regular in our communication but I guess the magic of the relation is still there
I went to meet her in Ahm, when she came down from the USA, where her dad (my mama) stays..we actually didnt sit and talk, but having her around was fun enough…and let me add that the kids had SUPER fun
1. Preparing for her elder sisters marriage..so that was the first marriage in the family on Mom’s side after many years..I had just finished graduation and didnt have a job and she was in 3rd year..when Amma went to school in the morning, we would both practice our dance…It was a surprise to everyone when we danced…and trust me dancing in a Tambram wedding is a BIG BIG Thing okie 🙂 we danced on ‘woh ladki hai kahan’ from Dil Chahta Hai and ‘maine payal hai chanakayi’ a Falguni Pathak song 🙂
Amma was just too shocked to see us dance on stage and she was so so proud of both of us 🙂
2.Going to the music class together..so Cousin K has always been singing…even when she was in my Mami’s womb 🙂 when she joined a music class after coming to Baroda , I joined with her for like 7 months or so…we learnt to sing Sita Kalayanam from that teacher (who is awesome!) and sang it for her sister’s wedding…Most people thought we made a good pair when we sang together 🙂
3. Sneaking in RMB’s clothes for the wedding…So RMB was in Chandigarh doing a course when sister’s wedding happened…he told only me and Cousin K that he was coming..not even our parents..and then he said he wanted a particular kurta to be brought so that he can wear it for the wedding…and oh God the way we sneaked it! you wont believe it..and finally when Amma Appa came to know he was coming, both of us got the shouting of our lives 🙂 Amma was like ‘why couldnt you tell me?’ etc etc…but we being the brilliant sisters squarely put the blame on RMB saying ‘hey he told us not to tell’ 😉
4. Getting horribly scolded by Amma the night when I danced in the college fest on ‘Aankhen khuli ho ya ho bandh’ We got really really late when we returned, we didnt have any cell phones and we forgot to inform home because of the excitment and then Appa went in search for us..and what not..Gosh! Amma was at her elemental best 🙂
5. Eating out..it was the most fun thing RMB, Cousin K and I did together…we used to go out and eat chat, and anda biryani and pav bhaji….it was pretty occasional but we did enjoy that a LOT!
6. Cooking exotic
flop food at home..we have tried everything from lasagne to pani puri to chow to chop…Amma and Appa were happy guniea pigs to our trials…‘Gold RM Gold..this is as expensive as gold…dont be careless’ Cousin K would say if I dropped even a bit of cheese while grating it.. 🙂 Gosh we have burnt things, almost poisoned our parents and driven Amma crazy with our experiments..
7. Doing sheets..since both of us were in engineering and she was in civil so all the more, we would stay up late doing sheets..she is a perfectionist..her sheets were glass copied like no man’s business…me? I was just about ready to drop off the line as easily as possible..but she used to slog her ass off literally to get the right dimensions…and then we would keep an alarm for 4 AM..poor thing, she would get up, I would pretend to get up and nod off and she would be working hard on her sheets 🙂
8. Going To Ahmedabad – So since Mama Mami stayed in Ahmedabad, we (usually Cousin K and I) would often go there…our bus and train journeys were crazy at times..running to catch at the last moment, meeting strange folks in the train, eating the channa dal masala in train, getting off at the wrong stop..we have done it all 🙂
9. She is size zero and I am size 20..and yet we would exchange clothes..yes, I would wear her loose ones and she would wear whatever was tight for me.. 🙂
10. Going for Garba together..gosh what fun that was..we would wear our chaniya cholis..Amma trusted us enough to let us go together..and we would freak out..one night with her classmates of college, one night with my classmates, one night with common friends…every night was fun indeed! We even went and did Garba in CEPT, Ahm once she went there for higher studies 🙂
11. People mistaking her for RMB’s real sister…RMB and I dont look alike..I look like Appa and he looks like Amma..and then Cousin K looks like her dad..and her dad and my Amma are brother sister..also RMB
is was size zero like her..so most people in college and around thought they were the siblings and I was the cousin 🙂
12. This happened when I used to introduce Cousin K as my sister to everyone..so we went one day to our family doctor since I had a bad bad pimple which was oozing puss on my cheeks..I had to get it removed since it was getting infected..so Cousin K being the brave one decided to take me along declining Amma’s offer of coming with us..we went to the doctor..and for some reason the doctor’s wife was there..we were speaking and all that..and the doctor mentioned to his wife that we were sisters..
Doctor’s wife: oh is it?
RM: yes yes..
DW: Whose older?
RM: me me (very proudly)
DW: Oh is it, so how much older are you?
RM: SIX months…
for about 3 seconds, there was no response..the entire place was silent and the doctor’s wife was just staring at me…
Cousin K realised that the doctor’s wife thought we were real sisters..and she burst out laughing so loudly that I thought she went crazy…
No no aunty, we are not real sisters she went..she is my Foi’s daughter…she pointed at me
DW: oh my God! I didnt know what to tell you girls..I was wondering how your parents delivered another child in 6 months time!!
We were laughing so loudly that my pimple broke on its own and blood started oozing out..the doctor quickly cleaned it..and dressed it and all was well
When I got up to leave, I see my Cousin K almost fainting…the doctor caught her and I got panic..
apparently some people cant stand the sight of their loved ones with blood…errr..guess who it was?
We waited for a while, she keep asking me if I was okie (gosh it was only a pimple!) and then guess who drove who home!!!
So much for taking responsibility of taking her sister to the doctor :):)
We have had our fun times together…shopping for our wedding bangles, going to copy notes in the library, doing each other’s hair, bugging our parents, talking endlessly through the night, getting our first pair of dungarees stiched after getting enamoured by Kajol in Kuch Kuch Hota hai, getting wet in the rains on the Scooty, always going around together, her shouting ‘Athai’ from the gate of our house so that the world and of course my Amma knows that she is coming back from college/music class – we were more like a pair of Siamese twins than cousins..
We still thank both set of parents of putting us together at the right age where we were free enough to roam around on our own and yet not loaded with any responsibilities…
and of course, I have to thank her for asking RD if he wanted to marry me 😉
those were the days, and we sure had so much fun 🙂