I have an FB account….
Which is something in common with every second citizen of this world…
I havent really been a very active FB user…there are phases in which I just log in, check other people’s status messages, leave my two bits if its necessary, and then write some random update about R, check out whose birthday it is in the next one week (I love that feature about FB, though my patty and mom do this by REMEMBERING without internet and computers) and then log out
I havent put up a single photograph of myself, though I do get tagged when friends tag me…
While I can totally understand social networking being important
or not, here are some of my views on the FB thingie..
I obviously know that this topic has been discussed to death in the blogosphere, but hey I did mention earlier na that the R household is always late…we are like tubelights, thoda time lagta hai baati jalne mein
and of course this is my very very personal take on the topic…this may be relevant ONLY to me and no one else…my blog, my relevance I guess 🙂
1) Random people asking you to be friends – I mean I dont want that neighbour uncle’s friend on my friend list…my uncle’s younger child’s old girlfriend’s sister need not be my friend right…isnt FB about keeping in touch..yes it is…but only if you want to…I dread when old school/college friends extend their friendship acceptance to me..I mean, I was weird in college and school..I dont want to remember that okie? and then people put up these old school photographs and tag you in them…I looked (still look) like I auditioned for zee horror show in college with a zillion pimples…Do I really want to be tagged in that kind of a photo!
and then people suggesting you other friends..whats the point? I dont want my friend’s cousin who I have never heard of to be my friend boss…just because we have one friend in common, why would I want to be your friend???
While I can totally relate to people whom I meet via the blog and am comfortable with, connecting via FB, I just cant understand random cousin of a friend asking to be my friend on FB…no sir not at all!
2) Photo uploads – I have a cartoon character (which describes me pretty well!) as my image picture….and I am pretty okie with it…I have people who suggest that you should put up your photu..but its like my blog my wish, my FB profile, my wish…I DONT want to be identified…Then why have an FB account…Well..now thats a Q…when I initiated the FB account, it was to keep in touch with a former boss who was a great friend and who was in Greece, and didnt know about Orkut (lets not even get into Orkut, I actually deleted that account of mine!) then I realised FB spread in India like crazy..the only super great benefit of of the FB account is definitely the birthday thingie…I can wish people and I know when their birthdays are
and then people who are upset about people putting their kids photos as their profile image…I dont know why thats wrong seriously…if they want to be identified by their kids, so it be..when people call me R’s Mom, I dont get offended…its just a part of my identity..just because I put up my child’s photo as my image picture or a photo of me and my husband grinning together as my image picture, doesnt mean that I am an insecure, not confident, scared person…I am what I am..my FB profile picture doesnt define me!
Then its about people tagging me…I really get a bit skeptical when people do that…I know no one is going to stop being my friend because of the way I look, well they wouldnt have been my friend in the first place anyways if they were bothered about how I look, but you know it really feels awkward because I am not a photo person…I HATE taking photographs of myself
3) Asking you to play games – I understand the first couple of times when you invite other people to play games, but if if the other person is not interested, they dont accept it..but sending it again and again and again…I have like 100 unplayed games or something on my FB account…I am not interested to play anything thank you..and when I am free, I will if I want to..so thank you for that as well
4) Adding you to some random group – Arey baba, I dont want to belong to any group..I dont want to like any group, I am not in any group..okie?
4) Status messages – This very very personal, let anyone put up what they want, I have no issues at all…If I dont like it, I read it and just dont reply..simple!
Having said all this, I can pretty much confess, that I really log into FB once a while, take a look at what my friends are doing, get jealous at the unmarried ones partying out, look up at the married ones enjoying their lives, the ones who are parents, getting proud about their kiddos..
All in all, I think FB has its uses, but its a very very over rated platform…Give me my blog any day..I love it much more 🙂
and oh, I am not even getting into how dangerous it is for the children, etc etc..that would be another post in itself