Dear Ganesh Machi (Umachi for the ones who are not R’s mom)
I love you. but of course you know that right?
I mean I really love you.
You are a cute God..unlike other Gods who are supposed to have the perfect figure, super great muscles or Greek God like looks…you are just normal..almost human so to say..
– big ears
– big nose
– small eyes
so on and so forth..and if I dare to compare your looks with me, I can check on the first three items without a doubt..which goes to show you are a perfect example of how humans can be not so perfect…and yet you command so much respect by your sheer wit and super intelligence that all functions need to start by praying to you…
or lets look at the fact that you have a mouse for a vehicle unlike Kartikeya who has a peacock or Indra who has Garuda…you have a small chotu mouse who is as cute as you…
which goes to prove that you dont need a BMW to be successful..you can have a cycle and get along with it…or something in those lines…
So in short, what I am trying to tell you is that you are an example for all us lesser humans who often lament about lack of stuff in the physical looks, telling us the intellect is far more important than the physical looks…
and now that its established that I really love you and relate to you in so many ways…I have a few questions to ask you…
1) are you even awake at 12 in the night or 2 in the night when the people bring you before your birthday with loads of loud crackers and DJ music which can throb through opaque black objects inside sound proof rooms..or when they send you into the sea with even louder music and sutli bombs bursting dime a dozen and throwing colours on everyone who is trying to walk past…I was wondering if you stay awake so long?
Dont you think its better that people bring you in with traditional dhols without crackers before 8 in the evening and send you back as well before 8 in the evening so that you can have dinner in peace and then rest before getting back to the tedious work of keeping the intellect of the world intact?
2) Do you like loud music? yesterday when we were eating dinner at about 8 in the evening…a group of people were packing you off to the sea with celebrations and stuff and I was asking RD why would people make so much noise..to which R told me ‘Amma, kyon ki Ganesh maachi ko loud music aacha lagta hai!’ (because Ganesh maachi likes loud music) is that true..do you reall y enjoy that ear-splitting music?
3) I am sure you dont like pollution na? I mean if you were made of biodegradable stuff..wouldnt it have been easier for you to dissolve and go back to the sea and from there to heaven…in today’s case, it would take years for you to get back to the molecule level and then again more nad more of you will keep getting added, which means you will keep working harder to get to the molecule level…and then when will you go back to your parents in heaven? I am sure they miss you na? do you agree to your replicas made of non biodegradable substances which are harming the very beings which you have created?
4) Do you want so many of you? If you know what I mean…would you prefer that each area in Mumbai like say Kandivali or Malad has just one of you so that there would be no traffic jams on the road and that would mean lesser pollution and that would also mean parents can reach their children on time, ambulances can carry their patients before they die or a mother can delivery her baby in the luxury of a hospital instead of in a dingy van? I am sure you would agree to me na?
5) I saw for the past two years that people who have these large idols by the road side cover you up completely so that anyone passing from the road cant see you? Whats the point? I am sure you want to bless everyone and anyone and not just those who stand in teh line to see you..there was an article in TOI on how many pandals are now covering their Ganpatis so that people stand in Queue and do darshan which means they have more time to look at the ads there which means more sponsorship for the pandals! And if you observe, I can definitely figure out that I cant even make out the idol when I am going by bus or car or even bike….you dont like that do you? hiding you from your devotees who may not be able to stand in line and get your darshan..
I would love to hear your answers on these…again please note that I love you and I respect the sentiments of people who want to celebrate your coming and going annually…I just wanted to let you know that despite everything I write, I will alway remain a devotee because for me you reside in my heart and soul always 365 days an year 24 by 7
With loads of love