So the next three days are going to be posts of show off, since I completed the Marathon and all that 😉 sorry make it half marathon and all that!!!
and so this what I observed
– Mumbaikars rock in every sense..you wont believe this but ALL through the way, all the 21 kms, no no 21.097 kms, there were people who came down from their building, cheering you, shouting for you, compelling you to move ahead, distributing water, nimbu pani (home made, could tell by the taste), biscuits, oranges (devoid of skin), bananas (devoid of skin) and what not…they would shout at you to move on and on and on and tell you that you have it in you, they are proud of you and what not…Proud to be a Mumbaikar!
– the start up line was FULL of energy, people screamed loudly when the start shot happened and then everyone went ahead full force making you feel amazingly nice
– The Bandra Worli sea link rocks…if not anything, I am glad I did the marathon because this was the only opportunity to walk over it, otherwise, its only by car
– People have an amazing sense of humour, when we were entering the sea link, the board says, speed limit 50 kms, and people around were saying, slow down, you cant exceed the speed limit heheeh 🙂
– When I finished, I had tears in my eyes, literally, I thought I would never finish it, but then we met up with colleagues who cheered me all through for about 10 minutes 🙂
– Aches and hurts happen as soon as the euphoria get over, in my case, after about 2 hours
– Everyone pees before the start of the marathon, there were HUGE lines right from 5.20 onwards in the morning before the toilets 🙂 and oh, mobile toilets are not hard to use at all 😉
– Water seems like ‘amrit’ all through the way!
– People can behave when they want to. Honestly. Its a myth that in India there are no manners. Despite of bottlenecks in certain places early on in the run, there was no pushing, shoving, shouting..nothing..people ran where they could or just slowed down and walked till the bottleneck cleared!
– The older generation has so much more enthu,I had veterans and super veterans move ahead of move with so much ease
– One girl crossed my path, shouted ‘aunty aunty’ to a lady standing out of her house in front of chowpatty, and asked ‘Reema unghe che? (Is reema still sleeping?) reema I am assuming is her friend, while her mom came out to cheer the girl who crossed my path:)
– One young boy of about 4 years, was standing on the side path wanting to clap hands with whoever run past
– there were a bunch of cheerleaders in the range of 2 years of 4 years, dressed in cheerleader clothes and pom poms dancing effortlessly to ‘munni badnam hui’ it was so so refreshing to see them dance and they urge you ahead ;aunty chalo chalo chalo run karo! uncle fast fast jao, 5 kms baki hai’
– The end organization was bad..honestly…., we had to collect our medals and one orange, one apple and one horlicks bar with one energy drink from a counter in azad maidan and we had to wait for more than half an hour in a crowded claustrophobic area..one uncle fainted and there were 10 people surrounding him due to which there was no air..then as soon as he stood on his feet in about 20 minutes the whole crowded cheered for him (first time half marathoner finishing in 2 hours 45 minutes, must be about 60 years of age) and then we all clapped and said hip hip hurray (see this is the spirit of running!)
– We jumped barricades to reach CST station hehehe 🙂 that too instructed by a traffic policeman, he told me jao jao koi kuch nahi bolega 😉
– The full marathoners who run professionally are unimaginably fast!
– Loads of people ran for a cause, and its so great to see the money pour into charities
– The mumbai police ROCK! they did their best I think, maintaining security, showing the right way to people, blocking bystanders from entering, and midst all this, even cheering you to move ahead 🙂
– the dream run is a riot..people are actually walking not even jogging, strolling, gossiping, shouting slogans and what not…thats the REAL FUN WALK!
– Despite so much security, beggar kids managed to enter the azad maidan and literally take off the fruits and juice from your hand, you feel so bad for them, that you actually just give it to them 😦
– One guy ended the half marathon with cartwheels, front flips and back flips,amazing!
– The volunteers all are ultra nice, super helpful and really cheerful, they go out of their way to help you and make life so much easier for you when you run!
– I didnt practice much, honestly, not as much as I should have, but now I realise that I did it because I run behind the bus and train EVERYDAY every single day..so world class athletes if you want to improve your timing, make it a point to stay in Mumbai for an year, running behind the bus and train sure is super practice for the marathon!
– God could not be everywhere and hence he made mothers…mom is really God to me right now with all the work taken over by her while I relax and make my muscles move
– Despite of all fights, you realised that you have married right because the spouse shouts through the roof when you call him to tell him that you finished the marathon, comes to pick you up, removes your shoes and socks, get hot water for you and ensure you wash yourself in piping hot water, taking care of your kid
– and of course, you know you have the most wonderful baby, since she agrees to her thathi not to trouble you since you are really tired and says that she will trouble dad instead 🙂